Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tent of enrichment

I was checking the news on jsonline late Thursday night, and was confused by the headline, "Big Top hat trick started as a prank."

So I read the story, and though I had heard of the Lake Superior Big Top Chautauqua , I wasn't quite sure of what it was, so I googled it.

I found a good, professional website with big-time-act ticket prices, but I didn't recognize many of the artists. So I clicked on Brandi Carlile, and boy, am I glad I did. I went to YouTube and found the first and most popular video under her name, for her song The Story. Right away it struck me as a song I wanted to learn well. And from my perspective as a lifelong music-lover and student, and my more in-depth focus on song structure and musicianship of my last year or so, I have to say this: (and this declaration may be a little over the top), but the beautiful truth and emotion that she expresses at the 2:53 mark, when taken in the context of the song, is one of the most powerful sounds I have ever heard from someone I don't know. (The feelings I associate with the sounds of my children are on a scale far beyond these measurements.)

The Story is an excellent song, musically and lyrically. Brandi Carlile is a true artist.



No comments:

Post a Comment